As a San Diego Realtor, I have first hand experience at how hard it can be to buy your first home. We are currently in the midst of a strong Seller’s market where scores of eager buyers are willing to go to the extreme’s to write a winning offer. Agents are advising Buyers to be as aggressive as possible, when there are ways to still find success, without giving up your first born child. Even though it is hard, it is NOT IMPOSSIBLE. Let’s help you win as a San Diego First Time Home Buyer. Here are some tips that I use to help those in the same position as you.
- Understand your Situation.
- The most difficult part of the home search is finding exactly what you are looking for. Most families begin looking for a home in San Diego by randomly scouring the internet. My first piece of advice is to map out your realistic expectations for a home. This process is the most difficult and you should rely on your San Diego Realtor. As the market expert, it will be a much easier task. For example, if you want to live in La Mesa and you love the homes there, do not look for the same type of home in La Jolla.
- View Homes with a Purpose.
- Whether it is a Saturday morning, or a Thursday night after work, only view homes that you are seriously considering. There is no need to spend time going to a home that you are not sure of. As you are walking through these homes, make sure you are paying attention. You want to make sure that you are looking at all of the small nooks and crannies of that home. Even though the San Diego Real Estate Market still has low inventory, you do not skim over any home. Especially as a San Diego First Time Home Buyer, you want to be able to understand that home. Please feel free to look under the sinks, open all of the doors, and check out the entirety of that home.
- Be Intentional with your Offers.
- Currently, there are no “games” to be played. It does not matter if you are looking for a home in El Cajon, Pacific Beach, or Encinitas, you must start with your best foot forward. I always advise my clients to offer like this is their only option. Now, as a San Diego Realtor, I am not advise to ditch your contingencies and give them your blood type. I always suggest to shorten your timelines, offer strong in price, and be quick.
- Commit and Trust the Process.
- This is by far the hardest step. You will have to repeat steps 2 and 3 a lot. Buying a home is not a cake walk in this current market, but it is by far one of the most satisfying! As soon as you put together your winning combination and get your offer accepted, the blessings of the San Diego Market will start to flood in. One of the best parts about Home Ownership in San Diego is the Equity. I can not wait to share the break down of equity in one of my next blogs.
As you complete these Four Steps to buy a home in San Diego, you will find success. Be patient, trust the process, and lean on Velocity Realty to help you!
Joey Bergandi of Velocity Realty has been helping San Diego Buyers and Sellers successfully for the last 5 years. Joey’s ideology of Real Estate stems from transparency and communication. He believes that all transactions begin and end with direct conversations and honest expectations. If you are looking to start the process today, call Joey at (408)603-6800!